French Onion Soup
- 2 Tbls butter
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 3 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- 4 slices thick crusty bread, toasted
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- Heat a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add butter; melt.
- Add sliced onions, pepper and garlic powder
- Sauté for 7-8 minutes until tender.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and salt to taste.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, preheat broiler. Arrange oven-proof bowls or soup mugs on a baking sheet.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top each with a slice of toasted bread and a slice of cheese.
- Place under broiler until cheese melts and is slightly golden.
- Serve warm.