Chicken & Cheese Potpie
- 4 tbsp unsalted Butter, divided
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked Chicken Breasts, cubed
- 2 cups Havarti Cheese, shredded
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Milk
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Butter bottom and sides of 9-inch pie pan.
- In large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion to pan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove onion from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to pan. When butter has melted, add flour, whisking to combine.
- Cook one minute and then add chicken broth and heavy cream, whisking to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook, whisking frequently, until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Mix in chicken and cheese, stirring well. Pour mixture into prepared pie pan.
- Roll out puff pastry until one side is at least 10 inches long. Cut into 1-inch wide strips.
- In small bowl, whisk egg with 1 tablespoon milk. Brush edges of pie pan with egg wash.
- Arrange strips along top of pie pan, criss crossing to create a lattice effect. Press ends into edges of pie plate and trim excess pastry.
- Brush tops of pastry strips with remaining egg wash.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until pastry top is golden brown and filling begins to bubble.
Cool five minutes before serving.